Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I'm launching a magazine and need advice about pricing it for vendors?

My target audience is juvenile, young adult (9-17 year olds), boys and girls. I am not selling advertising at this time in the mag; it is bought either via subscription or at a store.


The suggested price on the magazine is $4.99. But I am going to be taking it to vendors (online vendors as well as those who sell through stores). I want to know, is there a rule of thumb for the cost I charge vendors? Do I give a "discount" depending on how many magazines they choose to purchase? Or, do I just give a flat rate of $2.50 per mag, whether they purcase one for resale or whether they purchase 1000? Recommendations?

I'm launching a magazine and need advice about pricing it for vendors?
Find a similar type magazine and see what they charge.


Remember that rates are based on how much exposure your advertizer will get (how many copies a month do you sell?). Many new mags give away lots of copies to increase exposure - like the weekly entertainment papers - they are free to readers (greatly increases readership). then they can tell advertizers that they reach xx,000's of readers each week.
Reply:In my experience a sales outlet will charge anything between 25% and 55% of the cover price as their commission for selling your magazine. It may take you three or four months to know exactly how many copies of the first issue have been sold, and this how much income you can expect.


Good Luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment