Monday, November 16, 2009

Social Implications of "Read a Book"?

I am interested in how you feel about the song/music video "Read a Book", which can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2VqFPNS... . Please note that this link contains explicit content and is not for younger audiences.





I think an important thing to note while watching this video is that it is aimed at a particular sect within African American culture. It focuses on changing their behavior, not the behavior of all African Americans. With that in mind, how do you feel about the message it is conveying?





I _believe_ the song is by Lil John (it sounds like him) but I'm unsure if that is true.

Social Implications of "Read a Book"?
I am still haven't had a chance to really form an opinion of it.


My first reaction...I was embarrassed, because I wasn't sure if they were joking or if they were trying to really send out a message. I don't know really, the best I can say right now is that if it works great, but I think that it is going to take more than videos like these to reach out and I think that it is going to be easy to have a video like this looked at as a joke by the people who it is supposed to be directed towards. I also think that it is demeaning to blacks for those that already think of us as a lesser race...like a kind of confirmation.
Reply:I still really don't know what to think.





When i first saw the video all i could do was laugh..and not becuz it was humurous, but becuz that's all i could do, im unsure if i should get mad. What are they really saying, they are sending too many mixed messages.





It feels like they are making fun of the ppl concerned about the hip hop content instead of understanding their side and trying to change. If they actually expect this to change ppl, then they need more help then the black ppl watching this.





Plus how do they expect kids to change, if he cusses in every verse, as a 16 year old, I feel that BET should banned this from TV

dental insurance

No comments:

Post a Comment